This interesting chapel; located in Evora, Portugal; called the Capela dos Ossos. This place has definitely been receiving some attention on social media. This chapel is a smaller portion of a larger, bone free church compound. The name of that larger church complex is Igreja de Sao Francisco. Inside this amazing bone chapel, it’s lined with five thousand skulls, plus various other assorted human bones. These bones actually once rested inside a churchyard around the Igreja de Sao Francisco. In the 16th century, the graveyard began to run out of space.
This began to cause an issue with burial for the locals, so something had to be done. The Franciscan monks who actually oversaw the place came up with the so called, perfect solution. They came up with the plan to unveil the old, long de-fleshed bones, cementing them on the ossuary. That idea actually served the twin purpose of preserving the bones for the Day of Resurrection, which is a significant belief in some Christian values. They believe that at the end of the world, the dead will be reestablished fully to their physical bodies, providing a state of contemplation for all living persons. The “bone chapel” has quite the interesting and some would say, morbid décor.
Right above the entrance of the chapel reads out “Nós ossos que aqui estamos, pelos vossos esperamo”, which translates roughly to “We bones that are here, await yours.” This chapel also holds two partly skeletal, as well partially mummified physiques. They are of one adult and one child, which did hang from ropes of the ceiling. Now, the two bodies are resting in glass cases. Portugal, believe it or not isn’t the only place where people got the encouragement to build with bones. In Rome, The Capuchin Crypt is a 17th century chapel which is decorated with bones of around 3,700 Capuchin friars. The Capuchin Crypt has numerous rooms, which hold names such as The Crypt of the Pelvises, but there is a record breaking bone chapel when it comes to interior design with skeletons.
The name of the chapel is Sedlec Ossuary in Kutna Hora, which is located in Czech Republic. That church was actually built in the 1400’s and its land was enclosed with soil from the Church of The Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem. This spot is said to be where Jesus was executed. According to past records, this land made it quite the prevalent place to be buried. Overtime, the land became overpopulated with the dead, so the bones were as well, moved into the Sedlec Ossuary in Kutna Hora. In the year 1870, a local woodcarver with the name Frantisek Rint was given the accountability of organizing them. He created elaborate displays from bones of more than 40,000 individuals, which still today highly decorate the Sedlec Ossuary in Kutna Hora.